Central State Hospital, built in 1842 and originally called the Georgia State Lunatic Asylum, was at one time supposedly the largest institution of its kind in the world. This little cemetery contains grave markers for a small fraction of the patients that died at the facility during its 150+ years of operation.
"In 1872 the hospital possessed a ratio of 112 patients per physician, a number that would not improve for almost a century. Central State underwent a dramatic increase in patient population during the second half of the century, when local communities began sending unwanted or problematic residents to the asylum, regardless of their diagnoses." - Georgia Encyclopedia